Sunday, January 23, 2011

Tomato Soup

It seems as though I have a bit of a tomato buying fetish.  My boyfriend asked why I had bought more tomatoes since the fridge was already full of them.  So I decided I needed to make something to use them up. 

On Friday I got braces on my teeth.  Now they are very sore as they are starting to move for the first time.  As a result to add to my already complex diet I can now only eat soft foods! 

So I thought the best way to use up the tomatoes and satisfy my soft food requirement would be to make some tomato soup.

Ingredients:
2 Carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
2 Sticks of celery, sliced
2 medium onions, peeled and roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
Olive oil
1 Chicken and 1 vegetable stock in 1.8 litres of boiling water
12 ripe tomatoes, chopped (I used a mix of plum and regular tomatoes and roughly blended them in food processor)
6 ripe tomatoes, left whole
bunch of basil (about 20 leaves)
sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Put the olive oil in a large pot, add the carrots, celery, onion and garlic.  Cover and cook for around 10 minutes until the carrots begin to soften.  Add the stock and all the tomatoes and bring to the boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer for a further 10 minutes.  Then add the basil and season with salt and pepper.  Remove from the heat and put it in a food processor and blend.



Enjoy
Shiny

3 comments:

  1. I've been looking for a tomato soup recipe, I'll give this a go, thanks. Need to get me to the health food shop for some 'safe' stock cubes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMmmmm that looks really good. My Hubs told me just last week he would like me to make us some homemade tomato soup.

    ReplyDelete